If you have purchased a new Roku TV or a replacement Roku remote, you might need to program your Roku remote to the TV. Well, depending on the remote type, you should first pair it to control TV functions.
Since the steps for pairing varies with the remote, it can be a little confusing for beginners. So, in this article, let us guide you on how to do it.
Table of Contents
How to Program Roku Remote to TV?
Firstly, you must identify whether you are using a simple Roku remote or Roku Voice Remote. Depending on the model, Roku remote uses two connection methods i.e., Infrared (IR) signal and Radio Frequency (RF). If you use a simple Roku remote, it will start working immediately when you insert batteries properly. Similarly, for the Roku voice remote, you must pair it with your TV first to control your TV.
Below we have compiled steps to program Roku Simple Remote, Roku Voice Remote, and Roku Touch tabletop remote.
Before You Begin
- Ensure that the buttons of your Roku remote aren’t damaged
- While pointing your Roku remote to your TV, make sure the approximate distance is 10 feet. But, you must aim directly.
- You must clear out any obstructions between your TV and remote for a better signal.
- If you have Roku remote with batteries, use new or working batteries.
- If you use Roku remote with in-built rechargeable batteries, you must charge it before pairing. Else, the remote will not work.
- While pairing Roku Voice remote and Roku Touch tabletop, your TV must be on.
On Roku Simple Remote
You must set up your remote batteries before programming your Roku remote to your TV. Roku Simple remotes have in-built Infrared Lights, which might not be visible. So, simply setting up batteries properly will make it work. You don’t have to pair them separately. But there are a few things you must consider while setting batteries on the Roku remote.
The battery sizes for your Roku simple remote might differ according to the model. For Roku remotes, you will need two batteries that are either AAA or AA sized. While inserting batteries, you must place them properly.
Check out the steps for it below.
- On the back of your Roku remote, slide down the Battery compartment cover
- Now, insert the Minus sign of the battery into the negative terminal of the battery compartment
- Again, taking the second battery, place it in a way such that the battery’s Minus sign fits in the negative terminal. Similarly, when you press down, the battery’s Plus sign will fit into the positive terminal.
- Take the cover and slide it upwards to close the remote’s Battery compartment.
- Point the remote on your TV, and use it. It will pair automatically with your TV.
On Roku Voice Remote
There is a pairing button at the back of your remote for programming your Roku Voice Remote to the TV. You do not have to aim it directly at your Roku TV to use it. Before you begin, you must fully charge the Roku Voice remote pro version. For remotes with non-rechargeable batteries, you can insert new working batteries as you do on a simple Roku remote.
You can find out the steps to pair Roku Voice remote below.
- Firstly, see the Back side of your Roku remote. On the rechargeable Roku remote, you can find the pairing button at the Bottom. For the remote that has batteries, slide the cover to open the compartment. On Roku voice remote pro, you can find it in the front.
- Now, press that Pairing button and hold it for about 20 seconds.
- Release the button when the indicator light starts blinking Green.
- On your Roku TV, you can see Pairing remote message. When the remote is paired with your TV, you will no longer see the indicator light blinking.
Set Up Remote from Settings
- On Home Screen, click on Settings
- Choose Remotes & Devices > Remotes
- Select your paired Roku remote > Set up remote for TV control
- You can follow the on-screen instructions to setup
On Roku Touch Tabletop
With the Roku touch tabletop remote, you can control your Roku TV using voice commands. Similar to other Roku voice remotes, there is a pairing button on Roku touch. But, while pairing or using the device, you must keep it where your Roku device can listen to the command.
Here are the steps for pairing it with your TV.
- Firstly, insert a pair of new or working AAA batteries on your Roku touch
- Locate the Roku Touch Pairing button under the battery cover. Then, press that button and hold it for 5-20 seconds.
- If you see an Indicator light flashing, you can release the pairing button. You can also hear Searching for devices on your tabletop remote.
- When the tabletop pairs with your TV, you will be on the Remotes & Devices screen.
How to Program Roku App Remote to TV?
You can use Roku mobile app remote to TV only when you connect both devices over the same Wi-Fi. The app comes in handy when you have lost or damaged your Roku remote. Similar to the physical remote, you can get access to all functions for controlling your TV. While pairing them together, your Roku TV must be on throughout the process.
You can find out the steps given below.
- Firstly, install Roku App on your smartphone
- Open Roku app
- Now, navigate to Devices tab
- You can see your Roku TV on the list. In case the app fails to detect your TV, you can restart your Roku TV.
- Tap on your Roku TV to pair them together
- Now, when you go to the Remote tab, you can use its functions to control your TV.
- Try using the buttons on your app remote to see if it works.