With about 4 billions of server conversation minutes daily, the necessity to reboot the app arises frequently.
This article will guide you through simple steps to restart Discord on Desktop, Mobile, and Web platforms.
Restart Discord on Windows
Using the Close (X) Button
The quickest and easiest way to restart the Discord app is by closing the app using the X button and opening it again.
However, before you do this, you must disable the Minimize Tray from settings. Otherwise, the Close button will only minimize the app and not actually close it.
- On Disocrd, click on the User Settings at the bottom.
- Scroll down and tap on Window Settings.
- Make sure Minimize to Tray is Off.
- Now, click the X button to end the app. Relaunch again.
From System Tray
- Go to System Tray and find Discord.
- Right-click on Discord and Select Quit Discord.
- Reopen the Discord app.
From Task Manager
You can use this method if your Discord app is freezing or not responding.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together to open the Task Manager window.
- Select the Discord app from the lists and click on End Task.
- Launch Discord again.
Deleting App Data and Local Data
If Discord crashes and you’re unable to restart the app, you could reset it by deleting the App Data and Local Data. Remember, to perform this, you must close the running Discord app.
- Enter Windows + R to open the Run.
%appdata%and hit the OK button.
- Right-click on the Discord folder and press Delete.
- Again, open Run by entering Windows + R.
%localappdata%and click OK.
- Find the Discord folder and right-click on it. Press the Delete option.
- Open Discord again.
Restart Discord on Mac
- Click on Apple Menu > Force Quit.
- Select the Discord App and tap on Force Quit.
- Again, select Force Quit to confirm it.
- Relaunch Discord App.
Restart Discord on Mobile
To restart the Discord app on both iOS and Android, drag Discord from the bottom of the screen to the middle. Swipe up and Release to close the app. You can reopen the Discord app.
Alternatively, for Android users, you can also Force Stop the application from Settings. Go to Settings and find Apps. Locate Discord app and open it. Tap the Force stop option. Click OK on the confirmation pop-up.
Once it’s closed, open the app again.
Restart Discord on Web Browser
If you are using Discord in the web browser,
- Right-click on the Web browser’s tab and click Task Manager.
- Select Discord and hit End Process.
- Open the Discord tab again.