The DualShock 4 controller is known for its reliability, comfort, and long-lasting nature. On average, its battery lasts between 4 and 8 hours, and the maximum battery life decreases over time.
To extend the life of the battery, it is recommended to learn how to properly turn off the controller when it is not in use.
There’re various ways to turn off your controller, either through the console’s UI or not. For example, there’s an auto turn-off feature.
Let’s see the different methods you have for PS4 controllers and the go-to method for PS5 and PCs.
Turn Off the PS4 and The Controller with The PS Button
The sure way to shut down the peripheral is a two-part. First, turn off the console with the home screen commands, then turn off the controller.
The first part is like so:
- Press the controller’s PS button for about two seconds until the Quick Menu appears. You could also press the Up button on the D-pad to go to the Function screen.
- Go to Power.
- Select Power Options.
- Select Turn Off PS4. The process also works by selecting Rest Mode.
The next step is shutting down the controller, which is quite simple:
- Press and hold the controller’s PS button for about 10 seconds until it shuts down. You can do this anytime, even if the console is on.
Turn Off the Controller via The Quick Menu
The next method is using the Quick Menu option to shut down your peripheral.
- Press the controller’s PS button again to open the Quick menu. Hold it for about two seconds until it appears.
- Go to Sound/Devices.
- Select Turn Off Device.
- Choose the controller you want to shut down.
Make the Controller Shut Itself After a Period of Inactivity
Lastly, the third method is customizing a timer that shuts down the controller after a period of inactivity.
- Press and hold the controller’s PS button for about two seconds, so the Quick Menu appears.
- Go to Sound/Devices.
- Go to “Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off.”
- You can select 10, 30, or 60 minutes.
After making a choice, the controller will shut down after not using it for the selected time. You should only press the PS button in the middle to turn it on again.
After making this selection, once the controller is inactive for the selected time, it will turn off automatically.
Make the Controller Shut Itself After Shutting Down the Console
Like the option above, you can set an automatic timer, so the controller shuts itself after putting the console on Rest mode or turning it off.
- On the home screen, go to Settings.
- Select Power Save Settings.
- Select Set Time Until Controller Shuts Off. You can also customize a timer to turn off the PS4 automatically.
- Select a timer.
After you select a timer, the controller will shut itself after the console shuts off or goes into rest mode.
Turn Off the PS4 Controller on PS5 or PC
You can use the PS4 controller on PS5 to play PS4 games – it won’t work on PS5 games. You can also use the PS4 controller on Windows through Steam, the PS Now app, or DS4Windows.
In any case, shutting down the controller works the same as above. You only have to push the PS button at the center for a couple of seconds to turn it off.
This is in case you’re using it via Bluetooth. If you’re using the controller through a cable, you need only to disconnect the controller to turn it off. However, press the PS button again if it’s still on after disconnecting the peripheral.