The PS5 has an initial setup process that allows you to adjust its basic settings. Perhaps months or days have passed since you completed the tutorial, and you may want to change a few things.
You and I perhaps refer to the same feature. The PS5 voice-over is an automated screen reader. As the name implies, it translates screen to text alongside spoken advice. It’s an accessibility feature, and you can turn it on and off.
If you don’t want it, you may feel it becomes annoying, or doesn’t need it anymore. So, how do you turn the PS5 screen reader off?
What Is the Screen Reader on PS5?
The screen reader reads the screen aloud to guide people with eyesight issues. It also provides guidance regarding how the console operates and what each option does.
The feature can be annoying as it can function even as you play or use voice chat. You may have already memorized the menu, or you may not need further advice or help to navigate through the console’s UI.
The screen reader is available in certain languages and is the same as your console language by default.
Here’re some of the languages available:
How to Turn Off Voice on PS5?
The PS5 comes with the screen reader on by default. It works like this: if you rest on any part of the menu for 10 seconds, the screen reader will read the UI and read advice.
If you disable the reader, you will also disable the 10-second delay. If the option is On, the screen reader will act immediately on any part of the menu.
Changing the screen reader settings or turning it off on the PS5 is quite easy. You only need to find the option on the Accessibility menu:
Press the upper arrow button on your controller.
- On your home screen, press the upper arrow button on your controller.
- Go to Settings at the top (the gear icon).
- Go to Accessibility.
- Go to Screen Reader.
- Disable the screen reader on the right.
Additional PS5 Screen Reader Options
On the same menu, you have some extra options to customize the screen reader.
You can’t change the language here, as the reader follows your console’s language. Here’re the options you can find:
- Speech Speed: You can customize the speech rate.
- Voice Type: You can choose between various voice tones.
- Voce Volume: You can adjust the volume slider of the spoken UI and advice.
Lastly, you can leave the screen recording working and use button combinations to pause or play the reading:
- Press the PS and triangle buttons simultaneously to Pause or Play the text.
- Press the PS and R1 buttons simultaneously to make the feature start reading from the beginning.