When not in range of an accessible Wi-Fi connection, you can turn on mobile data to hop online. Cellular data has widespread coverage, and you can connect to it just about anywhere.
To turn on mobile data, you can go to settings or do so from the notifications & control center. Just make sure, you have a mobile data subscription.
If you’ve got a limited data plan, I’ll also show you how to enable data saver mode.
Turn on Mobile Data on Android
There are two ways you can turn on mobile data on your Android device.
Let’s start off with the first method ie. from Settings,
- Open the Settings application.
- Go to Network & internet> SIM card & mobile network. (For Samsung phones, it should be Connections > SIM Manager.)
- Toggle on Mobile data.
- If you have dual SIM cards, select the SIM to use for mobile data from under Preferred SIM for Mobile data. (In some devices, you will get this option right when turning on mobile data.)
Alternatively, you can directly enable mobile data from the notification & control center on your device. To do so,
- Swipe down from the top of your phone to open the notification & control center.
- In some phones, the notification & control center are separate. In such cases, swipe down from the right side of your phone to open the control center only.
- Tap on Mobile data to turn it on. (Blue means on and Gray means off.)
Turn on Mobile Data on iPhone
Similar to an Android device, you can also enable mobile data on an iPhone via Settings or from the Control Centre.
To turn on the mobile data from Settings,
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Cellular.
- Toggle on Cellular Data.
To turn on mobile data from the control center, here’s how you can do so:
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of your iPhone to open the control center.
- Tap on the mobile data icon. (Green means it’s enabled.)
How to Enable Data Saver Mode?
If your limited data plan is running out quickly, you can control your data usage by enabling Data Saver mode.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Network & internet > Data Saver.
- Toggle on Data Saver.
- Launch Settings.
- Go to Cellular > Cellular Data Options. (If you’ve got dual SIM cards, tap on one of your numbers instead.)
- Turn on Low Data Mode.
- If you are using 5G, you might need to select Data Mode and turn on Low Data Mode.