Applications created using Microsoft Visual Studio require the
VCRUNTIME140.dll library to function properly. This is why, if this DLL is corrupt or missing from your PC, you’ll encounter the “
VCRUNTIME140.dll Not Found” error message.
The DLL is usually corrupted or deleted because of malware, antivirus, or user errors. But in addition to these, a failed upgrade or installation could also be the reason for this error. We’ve discussed all such causes and how to resolve them in detail in the guide below.
The best way to fix the
VCRUNTIME140.dll not found error is to manually download the DLL file and place it in the appropriate location. In case that doesn’t work, you should repair or reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable and the faulty program. You’ll find detailed instructions for each of these in the respective sections below.
When downloading the DLL File, it’s important that you check the architecture section and get the correct version for your OS (32bit – x86 or 64bit – x64). And when installing the DLL this way, it’s necessary to manually register it as well. Here are the necessary steps to do so:
- Download the DLL. If the latest version doesn’t work, try the one before that.
- Locate and extract the downloaded zip file.
- Copy the extracted DLL file in the directory where the program you’re trying to run is installed.
C:\Program Files\Tor Browser\Browser\VCRUNTIME140.dll
- Press Win + R, type
cmd, and press CTRL + Shift + Enter.
regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dlland press Enter.
- Reboot your PC and check if the error persists.
- If it does, copy the extracted DLL file again and place it in the following directory according to your OS architecture:
- The directories’ purposes are the opposite of what their names would suggest. This confuses a lot of users into placing the file in the wrong directory, so please get this right.
- Repeat Steps 4 – 5 to register the DLL once more.
- Restart your PC once more and check if the error is resolved.
Repair/Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is basically a standard collection of library files necessary for most applications. We recommend repairing the packages on your PC first, and if that doesn’t work, installing the latest versions. Here are the steps to do so:
- Press Win + R, type
appwiz.cpl, and press Enter.
- Select the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages and press Change/Repair for each.
- Restart your PC and test if you still get the
VCRUNTIME140.dllNot Found error.
- If you do, visit the official Microsoft Download Center.
- Download and install the 32bit and 64bit Visual C++ Redistributable packages as appropriate for your system.
- Restart your PC and check for the error once again.
Reinstall Faulty Program
If you’re still encountering the
VCRUNTIME140.dll Not Found error, the issue is likely the program you’re trying to run. There are a couple of possible scenarios here.
Either the installation got interrupted, so the program wasn’t installed properly. Or, it installed fine, but some of the program’s files are now missing or corrupt. This is usually due to malware, or in some cases, antivirus software mistaking certain files as malware and removing them.
Either way, reinstalling the program once more should resolve this issue. And while you’re at it, we recommend scanning your PC for malware and setting your antivirus to only delete files after you’ve confirmed them to be a threat. This should ensure that a similar issue doesn’t arise again in the future.