Microsoft News is a handy feature for people who want to sneak peek at news headlines, weather, or the latest sports results at a glance.
You can remove Microsoft news from the taskbar with minimum or no effort at all. However, you have several options. You have the privilege to fix the hover issue and still access Microsoft News. Likewise, you can remove the weather text to show only the icon in the taskbar and save the taskbar space.
Using the Taskbar
You can easily turn off Microsoft news in the three easy steps mentioned below.
- Right-click on the weather icon on the taskbar.
- Hover the cursor to News and interests.
- Click the Turn off option.
Using the Registry Editor
If the taskbar method doesn’t work for some reason, you can try an alternative method. You can tweak some settings in the Registry Editor to remove the Microsoft News and Interests.
- Press Windows + R key, type
regedit, and click on OK.
- Navigate to:
- On the right pane, look out for ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode and double-click it.
- Edit and set the value data to 2 with the base set to the Hexadecimal option.
- Click on OK. You can restart the system if necessary.
- Now, the News and Interest feature won’t appear on the taskbar.
Uninstall Microsoft News
You can even uninstall Microsoft News from your system, rather than only disabling it on the taskbar. This will completely remove the Microsoft News from the windows.
To uninstall Microsoft News,
- Press Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- Click on Apps.
- Scroll and find the Microsoft News app.
- Click on it and select the Uninstall option.
- Again, click on Uninstall.
Stop Microsoft News on Hover
If you only wanted to disable the Microsoft News because of constant popping upon the hover, you can easily fix that with the following steps.
- Right-click on any blank area on the taskbar.
- Select the News and Interests option.
- Click on the Open on hover option.
How to Remove Microsoft News From the Taskbar on Windows 11
If you have Windows 11, the above methods won’t work for you. Here’s how you can remove Microsoft news from the taskbar.
- Right-click anywhere on a blank space on the taskbar.
- Click on Taskbar settings.
- Click to turn off the Widgets toggle button.
Using the Registry Editor is the best solution ever, other did not work as promised. Thank you