Drivers are essential pieces of software that form the link between your system and the hardware. So, if there are problems with your drivers, your hardware may just stop working. This also stands true for camera drivers.
However, updating your drivers can help fix issues caused by problematic drivers. It also comes with a lot of benefits, as it can help your computer communicate with the hardware more smoothly.
Table of Contents
How to Update Camera Driver on Windows?
There are predominantly two methods you can use to update (Camera) drivers on your Windows computer. You can either manually do the procedure or let Windows do it for you. However, there are also other methods, like using third-party applications.
So, let’s get right into it. Here are the possible ways you can update your camera drivers.
Update Camera Driver From Device Manager
The simplest method to update your camera driver is using the Device Manager. It allows you to change driver settings, including updating them.
Here’s how you can perform this method:
- Access Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R hotkey.
- Double-click on the Camera header and right-click your camera driver. (For Webcam drivers, it should be under the Imaging devices header)
- Select Update drivers and Search automatically for drivers.
Manually Update Camera Driver
Another way you can update your camera drivers is by manually downloading and installing the update.
Follow the steps below to update your driver manually:
- Press Windows + R key to launch Run Utility.
- Expand the Camera dropdown menu and right-click your camera driver.
- Click on Properties.
- Select the Details tab.
- Choose Hardware IDs from the menu under Property.
- Right-click the first line of texts and select Copy.
- Search the information in the browser of your choice.
- Go to the official website of the hardware or trusted websites and download the latest version of that driver.
- For driver updates with setup files (
.exe), you can simply run them to update your driver. However, if it’s a
.inffile, you need to follow some additional steps.
- Open Device Manager again, and right-click your camera driver.
- Click on Update driver option and Browse my computer for drivers.
- Tap on Browse.
- Navigate to where you downloaded the driver update and select it.
- Tap OK.
- Your driver should start updating.
From Windows Updates
Windows updates also provide driver updates for most of its integrated hardware, including camera drivers. However, as Microsoft provides driver updates only for its own hardware, you won’t be able to use this method for updating external webcam drivers.
Here is how you can update from Windows updates.
- Access the start menu and launch Settings.
- Navigate to Update & Security > Windows Updates.
- Click on Check for updates and View all optional updates.
- Expand the Driver updates menu.
- Check the camera driver update. (If there are any available)
- Click on Download and Install.
Use Third Party Applications
Lastly, you can use third-party applications to update your camera drivers automatically. They usually update your drivers as soon as they find out that updates are available, which also includes the camera drivers.
Some of such applications are Driver Talent and Driver Booster, or you may use any other application you like.
How to Roll Back Driver Updates?
Driver updates can help fix several types of issues. However, if the driver updates get improperly installed or corrupted, you may see issues in the driver again. This applies to pretty much all drivers.
So, to fix this, you may need to roll back driver updates. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Device Manager using the method above.
- Locate your updated Camera driver and right-click it.
- Select Properties.
- In the Driver tab, click on Roll Back Driver.
- Choose any reason and click Yes.
What if My Camera Drivers Are Missing?
Drivers can go missing for a variety of reasons. You could have even deleted the driver and forgotten about it. To get your drivers back again, simply right-click on the empty area on Device Manager and press Scan for hardware changes.
However, if the camera hardware is disconnected, Scan for hardware changes still may not show any drivers. In this case, you may need to go to View and enable Show hidden devices. For the camera to work though, you need to reconnect the hardware to your pc. With an integrated camera, your wires may be loose or broken, causing disconnection.